In 1927, John and Sophie Szafraniec opened Cragin Hardware, a neighborhood paint and hardware store. Over the years, the store grew and thrived through hard work and providing their customers the right products and solutions. The near northwest side of Chicago had a large and concentrated industrial base of customers. Cragin Hardware became the “go to” store for factory maintenance needs.
Soon John and Sophie were joined by their son, Chester, who added his expertise in the areas of plumbing and electrical. He was an invaluable resource for Cragin’s growing industrial clientele. At the onset of WWII, Chester joined the Marines and served in Japan. Upon his return, the company grew and expanded as manufacturing ramped up after the war.
In later years, Chester was joined by his sons, Bob and Jack, who added their time and talents to an every growing business. Soon the little hardware store gave way to an expansive new store “around the corner” which provided access to expanded product lines and services. The name was changed to Cragin Industrial Supply to better reflect its core business of MRO (maintenance, repair and operations) supplies.
Today, the 4th generation of Szafraniec’s, Rob and CJ, continue to invest in processes and procedures, new product lines and services for an ever changing customer base. With Bob’s wife, Christine at the helm, Cragin Industrial continues to demonstrate excellence in the industrial/commercial channel. Cragin is committed to providing quality name brand products at competitive prices in addition to unparalleled customer service and technical assistance by a long tenured sales and customer service staff.